The federal government announces economic support, new legislation and measures to help Canadians facing hardship as a result of the COVID-19 outbreak.
- Support for individuals and families includes an increase to the Canada Child Benefit.
- Support for people facing unemployment includes the new Canada Emergency Response Benefit.
- Support for seniors includes reduced minimum withdrawals for Registered Retirement Income Funds.
Read more about Canada’s actions and responses.
April 2020 updates
- Canadians can now apply for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit. Read more
- Introduction of COVID-19 Emergency Response Act, No. 2 to support Canadians and businesses. Read more
- Launch of new portal dedicated to mental wellness supports. Read more
- Expanded access to the Canada Emergency Response Benefit. Read more
- Relief for federally regulated pension plan sponsors. Read more
- Further flexibility for employers to access the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy. Read more
- Launch of the Canada Emergency Business Account. Read more
- New Horizons for Seniors Program projects can now be used for COVID-19 support. Read more
- Support to those experiencing homelessness and women fleeing gender-based violence. Read more
- The Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety (CCOHS) provides an online space, Pandemic Info Share, to enable businesses and organizations to share their pandemic-related good practices and resources. Read more
- Launch of the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy Calculator for Employers. Read more
- Launch of applications for the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy. Read more
- Income support to post-secondary students who lost work opportunities due to COVID-19. Read more
May 2020 updates
- Employee training supports for agri-businesses. Read more
- Launch of Action Committee on Court Operations in Response to COVID-19. Read more
- Up to $500 million in emergency funding for cultural, heritage and sport organizations. Read more
- Help for temporary foreign workers and their employers. Read more
- $962 million additional support fund now available to businesses and communities. Read more
- Benefits payments for eligible Canadians to continue until Fall 2020. Read more
- Extended eligibility for the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy. Read more
Farmers without payroll can now access the $40,000 interest-free loan available under CEBA. Read more
- New temporary program announced to support research staff in Canada. Read more
- Launch of a four-week hotline service to provide small businesses in need with financial planning advice. Read more
- Up to $9.2 million to enhance the Youth Employment and Skills Program and fund up to 700 new positions for youth in the agriculture industry. Read more
June 2020 updates
- $1.1 million in funding to support national disability organizations. Read more
- Changes to travel restrictions for immediate family members of Canadian citizens and permanent residents. Read more
- $77.5 million to maintain and strengthen Canada’s food production and processing sector. Read more
- Extension to time periods for temporary layoffs to allow employers more time to recall laid-off employees. Read more
- Investment of more than $109 million over one year in COVID-19 research. Read more
- Canada Emergency Commercial Rent Assistance (CECRA) will be extended by one month to cover eligible small business rents for July. Read more
- Increased eligibility for small businesses to access CEBA. Read more
July 2020 updates
- Changes to facilitate online learning for international students. Read more